Report from RNZ
Wellington’s new bus network is to be be independently reviewed after ongoing complaints of buses being late, too full to board or not showing up at all. The regional council today voted today to have the system reviewed and the results reported back by December.
Since the system was changed in July, the council has been bombarded with complaints.
Councillors have also asked officers to change a route so that it began and ended in Kilbirnie, as it previously did, and for feedback on whether some other routes can be changed.
At the beginning of the meeting several Wellington residents addressed the council to let it know they were still unhappy with the new bus routes.
A Wellington principal said the recent re-jig of the routes was making his students late for class and putting them in danger.
St Patrick’s College, Kilbirnie’s rector Neal Swindells told this morning’s meeting about 100-150 boys were using the new service.
“Currently our two 753 buses from the station in the afternoon are significantly overloaded and are unsafe. On Monday this week, they were both loaded to the gunnels and there were 30-odd students who couldn’t get on. So what they do is they cross the road to catch the new 24 bus, which by the time it leaves St Pat’s now is also overfull.”
Another bus service failure. It’s 17:59 on the no 3 and we are completely full by Willis Street. The last two scheduled buses didn’t turn up. @metlinkwgtn  @sarahfreenz  @DaranPonter  pic.twitter.com/55o88sBgfk 
— Jane Little (@greenjaneNZ) September 19, 2018 
Good bus news as a result of public pressure and feedback;- number 14 extended to Kilbirnie, evening services til 8 pm on 18e when restored to 7 day service, seats to go back, still more to be done but thanks @SueKedgleyMP  @DaranPonter  @roger_blakeley 
— Sarah Free (@sarahfreenz) September 19, 2018