News from NZ Defence Force
The New Zealand Defence Force is sending seven firefighters and three fire trucks to support the emergency response to the Nelson wildfire.
Air Commodore Tim Walshe, the Air Component Commander, said a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) C-130 Hercules aircraft en route to Auckland had been diverted to Wellington to pick up personnel from Fire and Emergency New Zealand and New Zealand Police and fly them to Nelson this afternoon.
Brigadier Jim Bliss, the Land Component Commander, said four firefighters and two fire trucks from Linton Military Camp had been deployed to the South Island this afternoon.
Three more firefighters and a fire truck are being dispatched from RNZAF Base Woodbourne.
Since Monday, 12 NZDF firefighters have been sent to help control the vegetation fires that have flared in the South Island.
News from NZ Police
Additional Police staff arrived in Nelson this afternoon to assist with the emergency response to the Nelson wildfires. Approximately forty Police officers from Wellington and Canterbury districts arrived today to assist with cordons and mobile patrols to ensure the safety and welfare of the community.
Police have been supporting the emergency response to the fires since Tuesday afternoon, assisting with cordons and evacuations.
Police understand that people are eager to return to their properties but in the interests of safety, residents are unable to return or access their properties.
Police will be conducting mobile patrols overnight and ask that people avoid affected areas unless absolutely necessary.
Police encourage anyone who has evacuated to register their details with Civil Defence by ringing 03 543 8400.
Further communication will be provided to the community tomorrow, including a meeting for residents.
Civil Defence continue to lead the overall response to this emergency. If anyone has immediate concerns for their safety or the safety of someone else they should contact emergency services on 111.