Wellington Scoop
Network

Man arrested after bomb threat on bus closes Willis Street

Wellington.Scoop
Police were called after a bomb threat was made by a person on a bus on Willis Street at about 5.20pm last night.

Because of the threat, Willis Street was cordoned off between Mercer Street and Lambton Quay.

At 6.27pm, police said they were speaking to the person believed to have made the threat, and were not looking for anyone else. They asked people to avoid the area while enquiries were being made.

At 7.30, police said the street had been reopened and a 41-year-old man had been taken into custody. He has been charged in relation to an outstanding warrant and will appear in court on Thursday. Further charges are likely.

Police want to hear from anyone who was on the bus at the time of the incident. They are asked to contact dcc.wellington@police.govt.nz.

Metlink listed more than 30 buses that were delayed at 6pm. It advised that northbound buses were being diverted via Taranaki Street, Jervois Quay to Brandon street. Southbound diversions were via Hunter Street , Victoria Street to Manners Street.

The closure of Willis Street caused traffic congestion throughout the CBD.

The NZ Herald reported more about the bomb threat and its consequences.