Wellington Scoop
Network

Fire in clothes drier disrupts traffic in Boulcott Street

Report from RNZ
A clothes dryer stuffed with towels was responsible for a small fire which disrupted traffic in central Wellington today.

The fire started in the top floor of a five-storey apartment building in Boulcott Street about 3.15pm.

Residents had got out of their building before firefighters arrived.

Senior station officer Brendon Wood said seven fire trucks attended the blaze.

“The clothes dryer was filled up to capacity with towels and there was no ventilation space for the towels to cool down as they were drying, so they overheated and ignited.

“The dryer’s had its last day, it’s dried its last towel, however it’s out on the deck, it’s been extinguished, there’s no chance of it reigniting.”

No comments yet.

Write a comment: