Wellington Scoop
Network

Murderer sentenced to life in prison after killing Karori woman with mallet

murderer

Report from RNZ
Joseph William Borton has been sentenced to life in prison with a minimum non-parole period of 19 years for murdering a woman with a mallet in Wellington earlier this year. He was also sentenced for sexually assaulting the woman’s daughter. Borton, 31, pleaded guilty to both charges in August.

The woman’s name remains suppressed to protect the identity of her 12-year-old daughter.

Police were called to the Wellington house at Lemnos Avenue in Karori on the afternoon of 5 April, where they found the body of the 52-year-old woman.

Borton had entered the Karori home where the pair were using a neighbour’s washing machine and dryer. He attacked the 12-year-old girl with a mallet, fracturing her skull and knocking her unconscious. When her mother came to help, he hit her with a rapid series of heavy blows.

He later sexually assaulted the 12 year old, while her mother lay dying nearby.

Also included in the police summary of facts were pictures of another young woman, who lived at a nearby address. Borton had taken pictures of in January 2019. He also stole the young woman’s dressing gown, which was later found by police at the bottom of his wardrobe. He also stole and took photos of a girls’ high school blazer, with his penis in the corner of the picture.

Report from RNZ – April 7
A seriously injured girl was found in the same room as a dead woman in Karori on Friday, police say. A 30-year-old man was charged with murder after police found the 12-year-old girl and the woman’s body together in a bedroom.

Police and three ambulance crews responded to an emergency call to Lemnos Avenue in Karori at 1.10pm on Friday afternoon.

Detective senior sergeant Warwick McKee said the girl was rushed to Wellington Hospital with serious injuries and went into surgery that night.

The girl and woman knew the man charged, but were not related to him, he said. It was likely more charges would follow.

A spokesperson from Capital and Coast DHB said the girl was in a stable condition in a ward on Saturday. Mr McKee said police were hopeful she would make a full recovery.

Yesterday morning police lifted the cordon on the lower part of Lemnos Avenue but police tape still blocked the upper end of the street, surrounding the house where the girl and woman were found. A local resident said officers were focusing on a house and a sleep-out at the back of another property.

“There’s a big blue tent outside one house, and a street full of vans. There’s been so many cars with detectives and forensics teams, and trailers. I’m imagining everybody’s pretty shocked.” Most of the people who lived in Lemnos Avenue had been there a long time and the street was usually peaceful, she said.

Mr McKee said a scene examination was being done on Saturday and 20 officers were working on the investigation. Police could be at the scene for a week.

No comments yet.

Write a comment: