Wellington Scoop
Network

Fire in Willis Street hostel – residents evacuated

fire-in-hostel
RNZ photo

Report from RNZ
Dozens of people were evacuated from an inner-city hostel in Wellington’s Willis Street, after a small fire broke out on the roof early this morning.

Fire and Emergency says the blaze was put out and the building was checked.

The damage was not severe and residents were allowed back in.

The fire was in Cumberland House, which is a Victoria University hall of residence that is rented out as Rise Hostel during the holidays.