Wellington Scoop

Fourth day of congestion on SH1 – delays between Manakau and Otaki

fourth day of congestion

Delays for a fourth day on State Highway One north of Wellington had begun by midday today and continued for more than six hours.

At midday the NZTA reported significant delays for southbound traffic between Manakau and Otaki.

It advised motorists to delay their journeys – its usual advice whenever there is congestion on a main highway.

At 2.35, southbound traffic remained congested, with queues forming north of Manakau and easing after Ōtaki.

The congestion had eased by 6.30.

delays third day

Wellington.Scoop – May 31
Congestion for northbound traffic on State Highway 1 began soon after midday today – the third day of delays for motorists heading out of Wellington for the holiday weekend.

At 12.55, the NZ Transport Agency reported congestion between Plimmerton and Paekākāriki, with queues backed up to the Plimmerton roundabout.

“Expect significant delays along this route and delay your journey if possible,” advised the NZTA.

The northbound congestion continued for almost four hours.

Meantime by 4pm delays were building up for southbound traffic on SH1, with queues between Manakau and Otaki. This congestion had cleared after about two hours, but heavy traffic from Mackays Crossing to Paekakariki continued till almost 8pm.

congestion SH1 saturday

Wellington.Scoop – May 30
For a second day there is congestion for northbound traffic heading out of Wellington on State Highway One.

At 11.30, the Transport Agency reported congestion between Waikanae Beach and Ōtaki, with queues back to the Peka Peka overbridge. It said there were significant delays.

At 2:45, northbound congestion on SH1 had eased slightly north of the Peka Peka overbridge but was still heavy between Te Horo and Ōtaki.

At 3:45, congestion for northbound vehicles was continuing at Otaki, but traffic was moving freely at Peka Peka.

An hour later, all congestion had cleared.

congestion QB Weekend

Wellington.Scoop – May 29
Traffic heading north out of Wellington for the long weekend faced long delays for more than four hours this afternoon.

At 2.30pm, there was congestion between Peka Peka and Levin.

Things had got worse by 4pm, when the Transport Agency said there was congestion from Waikanae Beach to Levin.

As usual, it handed out useless advice: “Please avoid the area or delay your journey.” No consolation for everyone already in the queues.

Then at 5.25pm: Traffic heading north on SH1 remains congested but is easing between Waikanae Beach and Levin. Queues are back to Smithfield Rd.

And at 6.20: Traffic heading north continues to ease between Waikanae Beach and Levin, with queues back to the Peka Peka overbridge.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, 31. May 2020, 7:27

    Don’t worry, the ‘be kind’ signs will still be up. Traffic planning on that coast is a disaster.