News from NZ Police
Police and fire investigators have completed examining a Wainuiomata house that was destroyed by fire on Friday afternoon. Two people escaped from the house, in Thirlmere Street, moments before the roof collapsed.
Numerous fire appliances were called to the fire.
Detective Sergeant Mike Sears of the Hutt Valley Police says “We are fortunate we are not dealing with a double tragedy. Two teenagers, aged 15 and 19, were inside the house when they noticed smoke and were alerted by a smoke alarm. They managed to run outside moments before the house was engulfed.”
The examination has determined that the fire was accidentally started outside the house, possibly from a cigarette not completely extinguished.
“It’s a reminder of the dangers of smoking and the risks associated with our dry summer”.