Click for big version.
Civic Square map, showing access points and designated areas.
News from WCC
Wellingtonians will have the opportunity to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on Wednesday during their final public appearance in New Zealand, when they take a walk in Civic Square.
From 11.15am they will make a slow drive up Customhouse Quay from Post Office Square, straight on to Willis Street and left into Mercer before alighting at the Victoria/Mercer street junction to begin a public walk through Civic Square at approximately 11.25am. There will be an opportunity to view the motorcade as it progresses up Willis Street.
The walk will commence from the Victoria Street entrance to Civic Square, concluding midday at Jervois Quay (near the Rugby World Cup Statue on Jack Ilott Green)
The Duke and Duchess will be accompanied by Mayor Celia Wade-Brown throughout the walk. Their Royal Highnesses will sign a visitors’ book near the main entrance to the Wellington Town Hall during their walk.
Public access to Civic Square can be made through entrances to Civic Square from the City to Sea Bridge, the Michael Fowler Centre (Wakefield Street), Jack Ilott Green (Harris Street) and Victoria Street adjacent to Council’s CAB Building (corner of Wakefield Street).
The City to Sea Bridge can be accessed from ramps and steps on Frank Kitts Lagoon. However, the footbridge adjacent to Nikau Café and Jack Ilott Green that leads to the City to Sea Bridge will be closed to pedestrians.
Council will have event staff and volunteers on site throughout the morning and at the event to help guide people to appropriate areas.
Due to road closures, parking restrictions and the potential for heavy traffic, people are encouraged to plan ahead and consider public transport to and from Wellington CBD on the day. See below for road closures and parking information and refer to Metlink for public transport information on 0800 801 700 or www.metlink.co.nz
There will be no general public access from the Central Library side of the Victoria Street entrance, which is a designated area for people with limited mobility. The two areas have been primarily designated for people with mobility limitations and these zones will be monitored by our event staff. These are:
· At the entrance to Civic Square adjacent to the Central Library (access from Victoria Street)
· On the City to Sea Bridge overlooking Jack Ilott Green.
Able bodied persons will not normally have priority access to these zones. It is important to note however that people with mobility limitations can elect to go anywhere else the public are permitted and will not be required to be in the nominated areas.
Vehicles dropping people to Civic Square who have mobility limitations are advised that the full road closure will be in place from 10.00am to 12.30pm
· Customhouse Quay (Panama St to Lambton Quay)
· Willis Street (Lambton Quay to Mercer Street)
· Mercer Street (Willis street to Victoria Street)
· Victoria Street (Harris Street to Wakefield Street)
Persons having clearly visible limitations with mobility, most obviously highlighted by any form of walking aid or movement device will be allowed to use these designated areas.
If public safety due to capacity does become a concern, the site managers and or police may elect to change the designation of these spaces or limit further entry in the interest of public safety. This will be monitored at the discretion of event and police staff on the day.
The following roads will be closed to all traffic:
Closed from 9.30am – 1pm:
· Jervois Quay/Grey Street – turning lanes into Grey Street closed
· Post Office Square
· Customhouse Quay (between Panama Street & Willis Street)
· Right turn into Customhouse from Panama/Grey Street closed. Access out of Grey Street during the closure will be onto Featherston Street with marshals to pilot vehicles the wrong way up Featherston Street then into Panama Street.
· Willeston Street (between Victoria & Willis Street)
Closed from 10am – 1pm:
· Willis Street (between Hunter Street & Manners Street)
· Victoria Street (between Harris Street & Wakefield Street)
· Mercer Street (between Willis Street & Victoria Street)
Closed from 10.30am – 1.00pm
· Featherston Street (between Johnston Street & Hunter Street)
· Hunter Street (between Featherston Street & Victoria Street)
Parking along the closure route (above) will be removed/restricted from 8am – 1.00pm.
Additionally parking on the Town Hall side of Wakefield Street from Victoria Street – Lower Cuba Street will be removed. Disabled access parking will be relocated to the West Plaza side of Wakefield Street.
The Civic Square Car park will be closed from 10am.
There will be bus diversions in place for the duration of the closure. Please refer to Metlink for detailed information on 0800 801 700 or visit their website www.metlink.co.nz