Press Release – KiwiRail
A trial return sailing Wellington – Picton is planned for the Aratere, but timing is not yet confirmed. It will be subject to all audits, checks and tests described below.
The first freight sailing is also dependent on the audits, checks and tests. The Aratere will resume this service when the ship is ready and not before.
All freight customer needs are currently being met using the Arahura and Kaitaki.
Thursday 3 July:
• Dive survey completed – all in order
• All steering gear checks completed
• ‘Leak down’ test passed.
Friday 4 July:
• Inspect and test navigational and communications systems
• Lifesaving and fire-fighting equipment checks continue.
• Preparation of passenger areas continue.
• Safety drills and safety audits continue.
• Harbour manoeuvring trials continue
Proposed schedule Saturday 5th July through to Monday 7th July inclusive:
• Lifesaving and firefighting equipment checks continue.
• Safety drills and Maritime New Zealand inspections taking place.
• Preparation of passenger areas continues.