News from WCC
Wellington’s status as the country’s Events Capital has been confirmed – with six awards at tonight’s New Zealand Association of Event Professionals Event Awards.
The accolades won were:
• BEST ESTABLISHED REGIONAL EVENT – Visa Wellington On a Plate
• BEST NEW ZEALAND OWNED MAJOR EVENT – World of WearableArt Awards Show
• BEST PARTNERSHIP FOR AN EVENT – Visa Wellington On a Plate
• BEST ONE OFF EVENT – The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, World Premiere
• BEST EVENT PROFESSIONAL – Sue Paterson (New Zealand Festival)
• LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD – Dame Suzie Moncrieff (World of WearableArt founder)
Mayor Celia Wade-Brown says Wellington won six of the 10 awards on offer – against tough competition from around the country. “Last night’s outstanding success is proof that we are the Events Capital.
“Congratulations to Dame Suzie and Sue Paterson and to the thousands of people, both paid and volunteers, who have pitched in to produce these outstanding events.
“We are proud to host and support an impressive variety of innovative, exciting and quintessentially-Wellington events that help to make this the coolest little Capital. I congratulate all the winners on their thoroughly deserved achievement,” says Mayor Wade-Brown.
Councillor Jo Coughlan, Chair of Wellington City Council’s Economic Development and Arts Committee, says as well as making Wellington a great place to visit and to live, events provide clear benefits for the Wellington economy.
“These awards are due recognition of the importance of these events. They not only support spend in the retail, hospitality and accommodation sectors, they also create employment and attract talent to the city.
“Overall we estimate the four events that were recognised tonight have generated more than $100 million in spend in the city and region.
“We are committed to making Wellington a great place to invest and do business, and supporting events is a big part of that. And the best thing is – we’re working hard on even more great events for the city – so watch this space.”
Press Release – Wellington Employers’ Chamber of Commerce
The winning of six awards at the NZ Association of Event Professionals Event Awards is one of the best advertisements the city could have, says Wellington Employers’ Chamber of Commerce President John Milford. “This proves beyond doubt that the city is New Zealand’s events capital.
“Anyone who doubted this will find no better evidence than the awards:
• Best Established Region Event – Visa Wellington On a Plate
• Best NZ-Owned Major Event – World of Wearable Art Awards Show
• Best Partnership for an Event – Visa Wellington On a Plate
• Best One-Off Event – The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, World Premiere
• Best Event Professional – Sue Paterson (New Zealand Festival)
• Lifetime Achievement Award – Dame Suzie Moncrieff (WoW founder)
“Wellingtonians already recognised these events and people as among the best you can get, and now the rest of New Zealand knows.
“Not only do we have top-ranking events, we also have the very best people to run them. It’s a winning combination that no other city can boast.
“To win six awards is a fantastic achievement and everyone associated with them are to be congratulated.
“They continue to keep Wellington humming and on the national and international events map, and that’s what we need if we are to keep attracting new companies, create new jobs and grow the local economy,” Mr Milford said.