Wellington Scoop
Network

CentrePort confirms damage to two buildings, including regional council offices

News from Centreport
CentrePort has conducted preliminary engineering assessments of its port infrastructure, following the 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck North Canterbury early Monday, while also managing adverse weather conditions today.

The company had managed to get ferries operating last night and is expected to open its Seaview oil terminal later today, subject to final testing.

Two of its commercial buildings – the BNZ and Customs House – performed well and the company was working with tenants and engineers on a timetable for reoccupation.

Two other buildings – Statistics House and Shed 39 – will require more extensive inspections to assess the level of damage.

Chief Executive Derek Nind said the company had been working with its tenant to coordinate a planned refurbishment of the Statistics House when the earthquake hit, causing localised damage to two floors on the North West corner of the building.

“We had just completed upgrades of the upper floors, which performed well.

“A small part of the ceiling on the ground floor and the first floor have partially dislodged after two concrete beams became separated from the exterior wall of the building.”

Mr Nind said the planned upgrade and refurbishment was based on the advice of earthquake engineers and were being coordinated with the tenants.

Shed 39 – home to the Greater Wellington Regional Council – also performed well thanks to a seismic upgrade in 2013, but suffered damage to the ground floor.

“Engineers will conduct further assessments in due course.

“We understand this is challenging and confronting for customers and tenants and we’ve continued to keep them updated.”

Mr Nind said the port also suffered damage to some wharves and roadways with some liquefaction and differential settlement in places. He said staff were working to get assessments done so the port could resume operations safely and as early as practicable.

Earlier: Port closed by earthquake damage

5 comments:

  1. leviathan, 15. November 2016, 21:43

    I think the chances of any new tenants being interested in moving to CentrePort business park has just sunk to zero….

     
  2. Mark Shanks, 16. November 2016, 10:23

    Centreport is in a quandary – expanding capacity for bigger container ships and developing their business park are both dodgy for untold reasons, not least earthquakes, but currently they are not gaining the best return from their significant port space and assets. There needs to be a major rethink about the best way forward. I suggest some lateral thinking as opposed to vertical. Maybe there is an opportunity to develop some green space?

     
  3. Grant Robertson, 16. November 2016, 10:56

    Centreport needs to be more open about the situation with Stats/GWRC and other buildings. Lots of people impacted, and secrecy adds to worry. [via twitter]

     
  4. Hamish Rutherford, 16. November 2016, 17:25

    CentrePort owes Wellington answers about the risk of its buildings [via twitter]

     
  5. Peter Kerr, 17. November 2016, 21:30

    “Shed 39 – home to the Greater Wellington Regional Council – also performed well thanks to a seismic upgrade in 2013, but suffered damage to the ground floor.”
    One never ceases to be disappointed at how many ways the lily can be gilded. [The Regional Council says the ground sank under the building.]